Thursday 17 February 2011

Dream Home : The Pool

I spend a lot of my time imagining my dream home. It has been developing in my mind for several years now and it really is nothing short of spectacular. When I imagine my home, I don't generally limit myself to today's architecture and science, so, for the most part, my dream home will probably never manifest itself in reality...
Today I found a swimming pool that would fit perfectly with my Gothic architecture:

This is the pool from the Gellert Spa in Budapest. I really love the natural light coming from the ceiling and the balconies. I would change the colour scheme though, and change the shapes a bit (especially the balconies). And the textures aren't what I like. I'd probably mosaic most of the walls with blues and greens. And I like Roman designs but they're too obvious to use with a pool. Bright and bold is what I'd go for.

The pool would be no exception to the scheme of the whole house, which is opulence, decadence and simply sinful over-abundance.
When it comes to design I don't mind if things make sense, I just like things to look beautiful. On the walls either side of the pool, I would have wonderfully intricate mosaics depicting various forms of wildlife. Colour is very important, since the room has no actual objects in it aside from the pool I think it's necessary that you're drawn to various aspects of the space. There would be fish and squid swimming in the skies with the sun and the stars overlooking peacocks, tigers, snakes and other interesting animals. It wouldn't be constricted to any particular style of mosaic, as you can see below:



The style in this mosaic clearly differs from the fish (above). The overall mural would not be constrained to one particular style and will flourish and thrive off of each kind of design. There would be a vast mixture of colours, shapes and sizes, varying from great dragons to small delicate butterflies.
Like with this peacock, the animals and designs may not be simply pictures on flat surfaces, so may come away from the walls creating depth and more interest.
























Apart from sheer style, the pool would be brilliantly engineered. At the touch of the button, the floor of the pool would rise to the surface allowing the pool room to be used as a kind of ballroom (although this is completely unnecessary considering there would already be an awe inspiring ballroom, but if you can- you should).
Along with this fabulously unnecessary gizmo, the pool would be filled with hi-tech gadgets that may very well in production today! (Who can keep up with my imagination, really?)
I scoured the internet for a full two minutes but I couldn't find any examples to show you so I'll just have to paint you a picture.
There will be underwater speakers, so you can listen to your favourite music while you're doing laps (very short laps in my case). Now I know there are waterproof speakers but do they actually sound the same underwater? I heard Bill Gates had underwater speakers in his pool, they were at a different frequency so you could only hear them underwater. If it's good enough for Bill, it'll do for me.
Along with the sound there simply must be picture, don't you think? Instead of having a matching mosaic floor there would be a TV screen. Yes, yes, I know it's a bit ridiculous, but it would be AWESOME. It would look thee shizz for parties. It wouldn't be focused on actual tv shows or the news (obviously. Although when I think about it, it would be pretty sweet just having the news updates in my pool...), instead it would be used for more vibrant music videos, cartoons and films (eg. SCOTT PILGRIM, oh yeah). I don't mind mismatching things, so I would probably be listening to something different outside the pool to whatever going on inside. Of course, there would probably be some noise coming from the pool, like a buzz or a humming from whatever is playing underneath the water, but because my home isn't limited by the laws of physics this wouldn't be an issue.
And besides, by the time anyone has enough money to actually build this house, the things that are impossible now will surely be very possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment